5 Mental Health Tips for Moms
One of the biggest things I've learned as a mom is life doesn't revolve around me anymore! My life revolves around my two children now. I spend my days with teething, tantruming (I invented this word), potty training, messy and loving babes. I am so busy and focused on their needs it is easy to forget my own.
Self care is so important for moms. We can't give from a place that is empty. Early on in my parenting journey I had to learn quick and easy ways to de-stress and care for myself. I will share with you 5 things you can easily do to care for yourself.
TIP # 1 - TAKE A BATH
- My son was a colicky baby. We were dealing with food sensitivities and he wasn't a happy boy for the first many months of his life. The second my husband came home I handed him off and went to run myself a bath. That 20 minute bath helped me relax and regroup from the day. I was able to re-energize myself and come back to my family a calmer and happy mom.
- Try incorporating 1 cup of Epsom salt and a few drops of lavender essential oil to your bath for a great way to relax your muscles and relieve aches and pains.
TIP # 2 - TURN UP THE MUSIC
- This seems so silly and simple but it helps! When I find my kids are cranky and in a funk I turn on Pandora to my favorite stations. Either Matchbox Twenty or Jewel radio if you're curious ;)
- Getting everyone singing and moving to the music easily helps lift my mood and get the kids distracted from whatever meltdown they were having.
TIP # 3 - GET OUT OF THE HOUSE
- This is with and without your kids! Fresh air is so important for our souls. Go for a walk, to the park, for ice cream.
- I don't care where you go but sometimes you just need to get out of the house! Lately I have found that grocery shopping alone is so peaceful. I usually crank up the music on my drive there and relax. I can actually focus on everything in the aisle... I am not redirecting or keeping peace between the kids. It may be silly but it gives me some time to just relax. This could be to Aldi... or Target... just a couple good ideas ;)
- Go out to eat with a friend. I love getting together with mom friends and just relaxing and laughing and commiserating about our busy and humorous lives as moms.
TIP # 4: SPEND TIME WITH YOUR PARTNER
- As parents, it is easy to get so caught up in the daily hustle and bustle that you forge to take time for each other. Don't forget what made you fall in love. Spend time together talking about your day and decompressing.
- In my home we try and get the kids to bed by 8:30. With our oldest this doesn't always happens, he has FOMO! After they are in bed this is our time to spend together. This is important, make it a priority to be together without your children!
TIP # 5: FIND YOUR PASSION AND PURSUE IT
- This may be a bit abstract but it is important to have a purpose. I have a few passions I have learned over the years. One being teaching! I absolutely love helping couples prepare for their births. I love watching those ah-ha moments!
- I also love crafting and crocheting. It keeps my mind busy and focused. I love the feeling of finishing a project and even more love seeing someone's face when I give them my finished product.
It is important to do the things you love. Don't forget your hobbies or work. These things can help give our lives purpose and help us to decompress and regroup from a stressful day.
I hope these tips help give you a few simple ideas of ways you can care for yourself. As moms, our plates are always full. Take time every day to care for yourself so you can stay a grounded, centered, and happy mom!
Paige is a Childbirth Educator in Sioux Falls, SD
Paige Goldade - A Birth Boot Camp Instructor living and loving in South Dakota. She is a wife and mother of two rambunctious toddlers. She works as a childbirth educator and Board Certified Registered Nurse.